Wednesday, January 17, 2007

A Postage Stamp That Hits a High Note

I suppose that in one sense my adoration of Ella Fitzgerald is a sign of my creeping decrepitude.

Then again, it shows great taste.
My parents adored Fitzgerald, but she was way to square for me when I was growing up even though my musical taste were a little more diverse than the average teenager.

But a funny thing happened on the way to . . . er, creeping decrepitude: My musical palette broadened and broadened and before I knew it my explorations into modern jazz led me to the Great American Songbook and Lady Ella, as well as Tony Bennett, Dinah Washington, Frank Sinatra and the other usual suspects.
I mention all of this because a postage stamp honoring the First Lady of Song is being issued today. More here.

No comments: