Thursday, September 06, 2007

Pro Choice Except When It Comes to Pets

JESSICA AND MONTY
I take a perverse pleasure in reading so-called feminist blogs. Don’t get me wrong, there's often a lot of good and thoughtful stuff along with the fluff. But what drives me batshit is how so many self-declared feminists see the world through the take-no-prisoners prism of what they adamantly believe feminism to be and the rules that their sisters and us guy guys should play by.
This brings me to an innocuous little post at Feministing by Jessica Valenti about how her puppy Monty chewed her laptop power cord, which resulted in comments by those aforementioned . . . okay, I’ll say it . . . feminazis . . . who excoriated Jessica for buying a dog from a breeder because that, in their constipated world view, is so totally un-feminist.
Given the choice between adopting a pet from a pound or buying one from a breeder, I'll take the pound any day of the week. In fact, we recently rescued an abandoned kitty who shows signs of being abused, but that doesn’t mean that I would disapprove of someone buying a purebred Siamese or Maine Coon Cat. What does matter is that these critters have responsible and loving owners, of which I am sure Jessica is one.

So getting on Jessica for doing what millions of us and, I daresay, even some died-in-the-wool feminists, do brings new meaning to the word asinine.

There you have it:

Pro-choice except when it comes to pets.

No comments: