Sunday, May 25, 2008

My All-Time Favorite Jazz Albums

In addition to Kind of Blue, as noted in the Miles Davis appreciation above, here are the jazz albums that I'd take to the proverbial desert island. They are listed in alphabetical order by artist.

The list is utterly subjective, so cut me some slack if I missed any of
your favorites but be sure to let me know what they are.
Escalator Over the Hill (1971) Carla Bley
Study in Brown (1955) Clifford Brown-Max Roach
Time Out (1959) Dave Brubeck
Journey in Sachidananda (1970) Alice Coltrane
Giant Steps (1959) John Coltrane
My Favorite Things (1960) John Coltrane
A Love Supreme (1964) John Coltrane
In a Silent Way (1959) Miles Davis
Bitches Brew (1970) Miles Davis
Ella Fitzgerald Sings The Duke Ellington Songbook
(1957) Ella Fitzgerald
Maiden Voyage (1965) Herbie Hancock
Birds of Fire (1973) Mahavishnu Orchestra
My Goals Beyond (1970) John McLaughlin
Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall
(2005) Monk-Coltrane
Atlantis (1967) Sun Ra
Sahara (1972) McCoy Tyner
I Sing The Body Electric (1972) Weather Report

Köln Concert (1975) by Keith Jarrett deserves to be on the list. It is not because Jarrett has proven himself to be such an asshole over the years. So there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cannonball Adderley's Something Else and Oliver Nelson's Blues and the Abstract Truth always start out my lists.