Wednesday, June 21, 2006

World Cup II: Swedes & Weeds

The Dear Friend & Conscience is of Norwegian and Italian distraction, er . . . extraction, which makes her an Itwegian. Her father used to burst into verse that went something like
10,000 Swedes came out of the weeds chased by one Norwegian.
With England ahead of Sweden by a goal and only seconds remaining in regulation in their World Cup match on Wednesday, I thought I'd be cute and leave the DF&C a phone message that went something like
10,000 Swedes came out of the weeds chased by one English stricker.
But then Sweden tied the match and my little ha-ha died aborning, which is okay because I've got lots of English and Swedish blood myself, which makes me a Swinglishman.

Anyhow, my excercise set me to wondering what the derivation of the 10,000 Swedes verse was. The answer is here.

No comments: