Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Quicksilver's 'What About Me?'

You poisoned my sweet water.
You cut down my green trees.
The food you fed my children
Was the cause of their disease.
My world is slowly fallin' down
And the air's not good to breathe.
And those of us who care enough,
We have to do something . . .


(Chorus)

Oh . . . oh What you gonna do about me?
Oh . . . oh What you gonna do about me?


Your newspapers,
They just put you on.
They never tell you
The whole story.


They just put your
Young ideas down.
I was wonderin' could this be the end
Of your pride and glory?


(Chorus)

I work in your factory.
I study in your schools.
I fill your penitentiaries.
And your military too!


And I feel the future trembling,
As the word is passed around.
"If you stand up for what you do believe,
Be prepared to be shot down."


(Chorus)


And I feel like a stranger
In the land where I was born
And I live like an outlaw.
An' I'm always on the run.


An' I’m always getting busted
And I got to take a stand.
I believe the revolution
Must be mighty close at hand.

(Chorus)

I smoke marijuana
But I can’t get behind your wars.
And most of what I do believe
Is against most of your laws


I'm a fugitive from injustice
But I'm goin' to be free.
Cause your rules and regulations
They dont do the thing for me

(Chorus)

And I feel like a stranger
In the land where I was born
And I live just like an outlaw.
An' I'm always on the run.
* * * * *
Here is another in our series of anti-war and political songs appropriate for the trying times in which we live.

Although Quicksilver Messenger Service labored in the shadows of the Grateful Dead and Jefferson Airplane, it was one of the great bands of the San Francisco psychedelic rock era. "What About Me" is the title track from their epynomymous 1970 album.

No comments: