Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Beach Bums & The Olympics

Mentioning Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh in the same breath as Michael Phelps is, I suppose, sacrilege because no one would ever compare what the American beach volleyball duo is duo-ing at the Beijing Olympics to Phelps' extraordinary accomplishment.

But as Josh Zerkle notes, May-Treanor and Walsh (blocking shot in photo) are a force to be reckoned with in a sport usually played by six to a side on the slowest surface this side of the Gobi Desert.

Any sport that can be played at the beach is all good, so I am kinda grumped out that that the IOC is thinking about removing beach volleyball from the Olympics because of the way May-Treanor and Walsh dominate the sport.

Troy Patterson does not feel my pain. And asks why beach volleyball players are always patting each other on the butt.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm with YOU. I'm a huge fan of beach volley ball and of May/Walsh. I don't understand the IOC's thnking on this one - should the NBA have disbanded during the Jordan era? Should swimming be cancelled because of Phelps? It seems silly to me. Yes, they are amazing and totally dominant. Get over it - or better yet, hop on the bandwagon, because we don't know how much longer they'll be playing!