Sunday, August 10, 2008

After Bumpy Start, TV OIympics Rock

Azza Besbes of Tunisia celebrates after a win in saber fencing
Any hope that I may have harbored that NBC's coverage of the Beijing Games would be different were dashed with the most exerable Opening Ceremonies intro on Friday night: A blathering exercise in poop, circumstance and stereotyping, patriotic high fiving, hankie wringing and alternate praise and tut-tutting for those inscrutable Chinese hosts.

Then I realized that I would have to put by with the smarmy Jim Lampshade as the games' anchor for the next 16 days.


But things have gotten better and for folks like myself who enjoy the "lesser" sports like rowing, fencing and my old sport, water polo, there is ample coverage on other channels like MSNBC, USA and Telemundo.

NBC has helpfully provide a master schedule of what is on when and where that is Zip Code customizable.

Photograph by Clive Brunskill/Getty Images

No comments: