Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Your Picks For the Worst Songs of All Time

The response to my post on The Worst Songs of All Time was kinda overwhelming. And big fun.

As the list below shows, the taste of Kiko's House visitors when it comes to bad taste is eclectic. There was very little overlap, although a conspicuous exception was Richard Harris's "MacArthur Park," which several visitors felt strongly should have been left out in the rain along with that cake:
MacArthur's Park is melting in the dark
All the sweet, green icing flowing down . . .
Someone left the cake out in the rain
I don't think that I can take it
'cause it took so long to bake it
And I'll never have that recipe again
Oh, no!
Oh, no indeed!

Other multiple mentions included "I Got You Babe" (Sonny and Cher) and my own pick, "We Built This City" (Jefferson Starship). The only group or artist to have more than one song nominated was America for two hall of famers -- "The Horse With No Name" and "Muskrat Love."

Here's the list:
"Alice's Restaurant" (Arlo Guthrie)
"American Pie" (Don McLean)
"Billy Don't Be a Hero" (Bo Donaldson and The Heywoods)
"A Boy Named Sue" (Johnny Cash)
"Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)" (Looking Glass)
"Broken Wings" (Mister Mister)
"Convoy" (?)
"DOA" (Bloodrock)
"Do You Think I'm Sexy?" (Rod Stewart)
"Dropkick Me Jesus (Throught the Goalposts of Life) " (Bobby Bare)
"Elvira" (The Oakridge Boys)
"Hip To Be Square" (Huey Lewis & The News)
"Honey" (Bobby Goldsboro)
"The Horse With No Name" (America)
"I Am, I Said" (Neil Diamond)
"I Got You Babe" (Sonny and Cher)
"Inna Gadda Da Vida" (Iron Butterfly)
"I Will Survive" (Gloria Gaynor)
"The Lion Sleeps Tonight" (Various Artists)
"MacArthur Park" (Richard Harris)
"Mellow Yellow" (Donovan)
"Midnight at the Oasis" (Maria Muldaur)
"Muskrat Love" (America)
"My Ding-a-Ling" (Chuck Berry)
"Okie From Muskogee" (Merle Haggard)
"Playground in My Mind" (Clint Holmes)
"The Night Chicago Died" (Paper Lace)
"Truckin'" (Grateful Dead)
"We Built This City (Jefferson Starship)
"The Wheels on the Bus" (Rafi)
"Wild Thing" (The Hardly Worthit Players)
"The Wreck of The Edmund Fitgerald" (Various Artists)
"You Better Run (Pat Benatar version)
"You're Having My Baby" (Paul Anka)

No comments: