Saturday, December 31, 2005

Interview of the Year

Ex-CBS producer Mary Mapes, who wrote the "60 Minutes" report on President Bush's National Guard service -- the one for which Dan Rather later non-apologized -- delivered the following whopper in a November interview with Brian Ross on ABC's "Good Morning America":

Ross: Do you still think that story was true?

Mapes: The story? Absolutely.

Ross: This seems remarkable to me that you would sit here now and say you still find that story to be up to your standards.

Mapes: I’m perfectly willing to believe those documents are forgeries if there’s proof that I haven’t seen.

Ross: But isn’t it the other way around? Don’t you have to prove they’re authentic?

Mapes: Well, I think that’s what critics of the story would say. I know more now than I did then and I think, I think they have not been proved to be false, yet.

Ross: Have they proved to be authentic though? Isn’t that really what journalists do?

Mapes: No, I don’t think that’s the standard.

No comments: