Friday, July 17, 2009

Bang Zoom Straight To The Moon

I am not a jewelry kinda guy. This stems in part from how dangerous the stuff can be when you're, say, using a chainsaw.

But the big reason is that rings, bracelets and such just don't compliment my usual wardrobe of Henley or t-shirts and cargo pants or jeans.

A -- or rather
the -- conspicuous exception is my Omega Speedmaster Chronometer, about as fine looking and operating a classic timepiece that I have ever seen. Inspired by the Apollo 11 astronauts, whose personal kits included a Speedmaster, I bought one in Hong Kong about a year after Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin became the first men to walk on the moon an unbelievable 40 years ago this Sunday.

Perhaps needless to say, my Speedmaster is as good as the day I first put it on. And while I don't expect to walk on the moon anytime soon, I do plan to take it to wherever I go in my next life.

No comments: