Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Bwah! It's Snowmageddon Redux

I used to be Snow White but I drifted.
-- MAE WEST
Let me make it clear from the outset that as someone who watched neither Sarah Palin's keynote address at the Tea Party confab (gasp!) nor the Super Bowl (gasp, gasp!), I certainly can be viewed as an unqualified hack.

But I do know my weather and can recall every major snowstorm of my lifetime.

This includes the Great Blizzard of 1957 when I built a snow cave in a massive drift on our country road and nearly passed out smoking a menthol Kool cribbed from my father only to come to my senses as the ground began to shake. It was a National Guard tank with a snowplow on its snout coming to get my young ass.

Then there was the Birthday Blizzard of 1993, so named because it began on a good friend's birthday and ended the next day on mine. The highlight was looking out my kitchen window on a beautiful winterscape just as a red tail hawk swooped down onto our platform feeder and made off with a chickadee dee dee.

Those memories so noted, we're shooting the meteorological moon hereabouts with a 20-inch snow in December, some 26 inches of the white stuff on Saturday, and now another 12 to 18 inches -- or even more -- expected to arrive under blizzard-like conditions overnight tonight.

First question: Where we they going to put the stuff. Other questions to follow.

Photograph by Matt Rourke/The Associated Press

No comments: