Wednesday, May 07, 2008

George To Hillary: Time To Go Bye-Bye

George McGovern exemplifies what a politician should be.

While Richard Nixon cleaned his clock in the 1972 presidential race, heralding one of the darkest eras of modern American history, he is fondly remembered by those of us of a certain age for his early stand against the Vietnam War, his ethical bearing and efforts to remove Democratic Party politics from smoke-filled rooms.
McGovern was a Hillary Clinton superdelegate, but today he threw his support behind Barack Obama and beseeched her to drop out.
Expect other superdelegates to do the same.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

McGovern is very fondly remembered by me. I was only 15/16 when he ran and worked for him in the primary and general election. I couldn't vote, I couldn't even drive yet (which made the car wash I organized for McGovern in my home town especially interesting), but I could work for him. I was in the local office almost daily, doing anything I could do to help. It was an exciting, hopeful time for me. One that I thought might be gone for good. But perhaps it isn't.