Sunday, August 26, 2007

Sunday Pet Blogging

Cats were not discussed in America’s first general pet reference guide, the 1866 Book of Household Pets, even though almost every household had one. But cats weren’t pets; they were seen, according to pet historian Katherine Grier, as "independent contractors," housed in exchange for controlling vermin.

Today, pets rarely have practical functions. According to the APPMA, the most frequently cited benefit of pet ownership—listed by 93 percent of dog and cat owners alike—is "companionship, love, company, affection." The second-most-cited benefit is "fun to watch/have in household," and the third is "like a child/family member."

Seventy-one percent of dog owners consider their pet a member of the family, as do 64 percent of cat owners, 48 percent of bird owners, 40 percent of small animal owners, and 17 percent of reptile owners. Even the scaly and cold-blooded, once brought into the home, can inspire parental affection.

Photograph by Alen MacWeeney/Corbis

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My name is Roger Baillargeon .

Just a short stop by, to let You know that I created a Cat Blog not long ago.
I wanted to get in touch with You after I started reading Your Blog, which I got hook to. I enjoy the content and it looks very professional.

My new Blog consist on featuring People's Cat Pictures on the ''Picture of the Day ''page.

Here is a sample link to show You what I'm talking about( www.up.to/catpictures )

Also the Blog feature CAT Articles and CAT Resources...

If You like the Idea Yourself, I'm inviting You to send me a Cat Picture.
I would Post the CAT Picture plus Your Blog Link with it.

For sure I would Appreciate very much if You could tell your readers about my new set-up.And feel free to mention to Your fans that I would be glad to post a photo of their Cat on my BlogSite.
Hope we stay in touch,
Regards, Roger B.



Roger Baillargeon
rogerfern99@hotmail.com

CAT-Pictures-CAT-Articles-CAT-Resources
www.pictures-of-cats-lovers.blogspot.com