Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Nader Ralphs on the Democrats (Again)

I voted for Ralph Nader in 2000, so you can blame me in some small way for the ascendancy of George W. Bush. I swore that I would not make the same mistake in 2004 and voted for John Kerry. A lot of good I did.

I consider Nader to exemplify the best in American political activism. I usually agree with his views and support the causes that he espouses, be they consumerism, environmentalism or good governmentism.
But I’m getting a little tired of Nader trashing of the Democratic Party while hinting that he may again play the spoiler in 2008.

Dick Polman says it well at American Debate:

"Nader showed up on CNN yesterday, and it was pure déjà vu. Much the way he used to complain that Al Gore was no different from George W. Bush, and, four years later, that John Kerry wasn’t much different from George W. Bush, he is now updating his ire and aiming it at Hillary Clinton. The message: She’s not much different from whichever Republican seeks to succeed George W. Bush.

" . . . In recent years, Nader has voiced amazement that the Democrats have ostracized him, that liberal conference organizers routinely ignore him when they send out speaking invitations. I am not endorsing the Democrats’ behavior; it’s just a fact of life that politicos typically find ways to retaliate when they get ticked off – and, in this particular case, Democrats are ticked off at someone who, in their view, has changed history for the worse. What’s really amazing is that Ralph Nader is amazed."

More here.

No comments: