Friday, October 10, 2008

Why All Politics Are Indeed Local

I come from a long line of political activists, including a grandfather who raised ungodly sums of money from churches for World War II refugee relief and a mother who spent many an Election Day driving voters to the polls while dispensing pint bottles of whiskey as incentives in neighborhoods on the other side of the tracks.

I worked for my first campaign (JFK in 1960) at age 13, while my son has been ringing doorbells in suburban Washington this season.

So the old adage that "All politics are local" was never something that had to be proven to me, but that has been taken to a new level with what is unquestionably the most amazing, and in some respects revolutionary, ground organization in modern American political history -- Barack Obama's New Organizers operation.

More here.

No comments: