Sunday, July 05, 2015

Hail And Farewell: 'When There Were No Strings To Play You Played To Me'


ATTICS OF MY LIFE
By Jerry Garcia and Robert Hunter

In the attics of my life
Full of cloudy dreams; unreal
Full of tastes no tongue can know
And lights no eye can see
When there was no ear to hear
You sang to me

I have spent my life
Seeking all that's still unsung
Bent my ear to hear the tune
And closed my eyes to see
When there were no strings to play
You played to me

In the book of love's own dreams
Where all the print is blood
Where all the pages are my days
And all my lights grow old

When I had no wings to fly
You flew to me
You flew to me

In the secret space of dreams
Where I dreaming lay amazed
When the secrets all are told
And the petals all unfold
When there was no dream of mine
You dreamed of me

THIS ANTHEM HAS BEEN MUCH OF MY MIND OVER THE LAST FEW DAYS AS THE GRATEFUL DEAD CELEBRATED 
THEIR 50th ANNIVERSARY AND PLAYED THEIR FINAL PERFORMANCES -- AN EXTRAORDINARY 3,223 IN ALL. 
THE SONG WAS THE SECOND AND FINAL ENCORE AT THE CONCLUSION OF THE LAST SHOW ON SUNDAY EVENING.

ARTIST OF PAINTING UNKNOWN / "ATTICS OF MY LIFE" © ICE NINE MUSIC

No comments: