Thursday, December 31, 2015

'Keep Them Coming Till I Say Not To, Or Until You Throw Me Out . . . '

NEW YEAR'S EVE ON CHEW AVENUE 
(1962)
By Arnold Schnabel
It's New Year's Eve, it seems we've made it,
If only barely, through another year;
The terror, if not gone, has abated
Into a dull and grey persistent fear.
My mother’s sound asleep by eleven,
So I go to the VFW,
Shove to the bar of this drunkard's heaven,
And say, "Pat, if you please, I'll trouble you
For a Schmidt's, backed with an Old Forester,
And keep them coming till I say not to,
Or until you throw me out; whatever;
Do what your conscience says that you've got to."
I take that first sacred drink of cold beer:
"Happy new (let’s hope it’s not our last) year."

A TIP OF THE HATLO TO DAN LEO

5 comments:

Dan Leo said...

Thanks so much, Shaun.

Arnold thanks you, too, and so does his mom!

Dan Leo said...

Also the entire neighborhood of Olney thanks you!

Craig Peter said...

Thanks for sharing your blog
legal process outsourcing

hayrettin alici said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Aneka Obat Bius said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.